Saturday, August 29, 2009

Blue Report, Week One

Learning more about Sweet Boy Blue. Here's a few snapshots of our week together:

*Blue loves to play "Keep Away" with Bella at the park. When she has the ball, he happily chases her. When he does, he runs mad laps backs and forth and then buries the ball. (Bella then digs it up and the game resumes).

*Blue found a fabulous stuffed and squeaky porcupine and hustled around the apartment with it, squeaking (he, not the porcupine), looking for a suitable place to bury it. He finally lit on a really good place: Back in the toy chest. No one will think to look there!

*Blue's an Olympic-level snuggler. He likes to lie on me with his face on my chest so he can look up at me. When pushed off, he snuggles up under my arm.

*Blue loves all dogs. If we are out walking and a dog happens past, he squeaks to let me know he MUST say hello. As Bella is NOT interested in saying hello to many dogs, I've had to let him down more than a few times. He gives a little "Aw, man" squeak and then continues happily on his way.

*Blue does not like trucks. When one rumbles by, he stands very close to me and appreciates a pat. He appears to be thinking that something so very big and so very rumbly is a safety risk. I know another fantastic Aussie shep who barks her head off at trucks, so apparently this breed just isn't appreciative of interstate commerce or easy home delivery.

*Blue loves to engage Bella. They are playing tug-a-duck right now. But he's also game for running up and down the condo stairs, looking out the window, snuggling...

*Blue is a dream to walk. He's still learning the leash concept (he's a bit of a zig-zagger walker), but he goes out, pees immediately and poops shortly thereafter. None of this looking for the perfect hydrant or must be out of eye-shot of the house nonsense.

*Blue is very happy at mealtime, but he doesn't rush the kitchen or try to steal food and he often ambles off before he finishes to come by and give me a 'thanks, lady' lick.

Blue is a great, great guy. He's got a lot of energy--I think he'd make a super running buddy. He's be a wonderful second dog--or only, but he'd really appreciate your patronizing your local dog park. He's been a dream with the kids he's met. When I last held a baby, he wanted to put his head up on my knees so he could look at her; I pushed him down and he didn't protest.




The tug-a-duck battle halted abruptly when I went to fetch the camera.

No comments:

Post a Comment